Services and Amenities
Our goal is to help you get the most out of life. A wide range of activities, exercise programs and delicious home cooked meals await you. At Cypress View Foundation, life is even better than you imagined it could be!
Your new home has a lot to offer. Click on the links below to discover the various services and amenities that are available at Cypress View Foundation.
Life Enrichment and Activities
At Cypress View Foundation, we believe that life enrichment should encompass all dimensions of wellness: emotional, social, spiritual, educational and physical. A variety of activities are available for you to participate in, according to your own individual needs and preferences. The choice is yours.
Join us in the Craft room to have a lively discussion of today’s latest news.
Church services are held in our on-site chapel and led by local church representatives.
Cypress View Foundation has adopted four cats from the Medicine Hat SPCA to bring residents a pet therapy room. Here you can engage with some very friendly cats. Play with them or enjoy them on your lap while you’re entertained with a television program.
Musical Bells Group
The Musical Bells group is comprised of residents who enjoy playing hand bells, learning new songs and performing in concerts. You don’t have to be musical to be in the group!! Each musician is given a highlighted song guide and follows along with the group until it’s their turn to play. The hand bells can be modified to be rung or tapped. Playing hand bells challenges your concentration and retains fine motor skills.
The Gardening Group consists of like-minded residents who enjoy all aspects of gardening! Raised growing beds ensures gardening is inclusive for all residents. Initially, the group meets to decide what they will grow. Then, the group travels to local greenhouses where they purchase the flowers and vegetables for their gardens. After planting, the group meets weekly to maintain their beautiful gardens. Join in to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine with other “Green Thumbs”.
The Sewing Group members share their talents and stitch their way to produce beautiful handmade pieces.
- Drum Circle – Drum circle increases social activity through the coming together for the drum circle. It is a great exercise for joint mobility, posture and motor skills while reducing tension, anxiety, depression, and stress.
- Laughter Yoga – Increases laughter and mood and is just fun to do. Laughter yoga can change your mood quickly by releasing endorphins in the brain. These feel-good hormones can improve your mood and keep you laughing throughout the day.
- Java Music Club – Java Music Club is a program which helps residents share stories and form lasting friendships with others in their retirement community. This wellness program embraces the concepts of mutual support and acceptance, and incorporates the use of music and poetry to help you relax while encouraging you to open up to others.
Music and Dance
- Community Volunteer bands – Dance your evenings and weekends away or simply enjoy listening to the 20+ volunteer bands who regularly perform at Cypress View Foundation. These bands play a variety of country classics and a little bit of rock-n-roll.
- Veiner Centre singers and The Veiner Liners (line dancers) are both senior groups who perform regularly at Cypress View Foundation.
- Local elementary schools perform seasonal concerts for our community, as well as performances/recitals from music students.
Throughout the year informative speakers present on a variety of subjects that are important to residents. For example, presentations on: SCAM Prevention, Balance and Seniors Health, Diabetes, Walker/Wheelchair Safety, Pharmacy Discussions, Senior’s Benefits, City of Medicine Hat Special Transit, etc.
Cypress View Foundation Community Volunteers
Enriching both their lives and those they assist, over 40 “in-house” volunteers (1/4 of our residents) regularly contribute to their community in a variety of ways. Volunteers work in the tuck shop, assist with activities, assist with decorating for special occasions, and gardening. Volunteers also participate in Resident Club facilitated programs, the Resident council and coordination of the community Library.
Home Cooked Meals
At Cypress View Foundation, dining is more than just a meal, it is an experience that you will look forward to each day. Our in-house Red Seal Chef prepares healthy and nutritious meals with ingredients sourced from local growers. We also offer a wide variety of alternative options that are sure to tantalize every taste bud. Would you like to enjoy a meal with family or friends? Invite your guests to join you for a delicious meal.
Healthy Living and Exercise
Exercise is also known to have a positive effect on cognitive functioning and mental health. It can help you fight boredom and depression and maintain personal happiness.
Summer Recreation Program
The Summer Recreation Program offers stimulating activities designed to get you moving, laughing and even thinking.
This program encourages and supports your participation in activities such as:
- Guided morning and afternoon walks
- Planting and caring for the gardens
- Outdoor games
- Chats with Cats
- Exercise classes
- Learning to use your iPad, cellphone or computer
Get outdoors, and have some summer fun. Maybe learn something new.
The view from our spacious exercise room overlooking the city makes it hard to resist riding the recumbent bikes or taking a walk on one of the treadmills. Weights of various sizes and resistance bands are also provided for those who enjoy strengthening exercises. With the permission of your doctor and an orientation to the exercise room, residents are welcome to enjoy the exercise room by signing out the exercise room key at reception. Cypress View Foundation staff provides surveillance of the room. For added safety, an emergency pendent is also available for you to wear while exercising.
- Whoga – Seated yoga exercise program designed to maintain or increase your flexibility.
- Sit-n-fit – Seated exercise program designed to maintain or increase your strength and flexibility. This activity incorporates weight training with exercise bands and stretching.
- Dancercise – Seated dancing and moving to a variety of music. Dancercise is designed to maintain or increase cardio. Get the blood pumping while having fun.
- Walker Walkers – A walking and stretching program done either inside or outside depending on the time of year.
- Qi Gong– literally: ‘Life Energy Cultivation’, is a holistic system of coordinated body posture and movement, breathing, and meditation used for the purposes of health, spirituality, and martial arts training. Qi Gong practice typically involves moving meditation, coordinating slow flowing movement, deep rhythmic breathing, and calm meditative state of mind.